KUOW Public Radio| Seattle, WA | January 2020 — Present
• Pitch and report original stories for kuow.org.
• Edit and publish stories filed by reporters for kuow.org.
• Write SEO friendly headlines and deks.
• Manage the KUOW Twitter account, driving traffic to stories on kuow.org.
EMERGING JOURNALIST FELLOW
Cascade Public Media| Seattle, WA | January 2019 — December 2019
- Pitch and report original stories covering K-12 education in Seattle and Washington state for crosscut.com and kcts9.org.
- Balance a range of weekly enterprise pieces, daily stories, and long-term investigations.
- Help write SEO friendly headlines and deks, and produce story pages in the CMS.
SOLUTIONS JOURNALISM REPORTING INTERN
YES! Magazine | Seattle, WA | August 2018 – January 2019
- Pitch and report stories that investigate and explain solutions that address core problems at the intersections of social justice, economic equity, civil liberties, and health and wellness.
- Format and upload stories for the web, using SEO to increase page views and boost content engagement.
FREELANCE REPORTER & WRITER
Self-Employed | Cincinnati, OH | June 2017 – Present
- Pitched and wrote a story for USA TODAY’s 2019 Black History Month tab about institutional challenges for Morris Brown College and other historically black colleges and universities.
- Pitched and wrote stories for Rewire.News, including an investigation into the racial discrimination of black patients by mental and behavioral health care systems, which led to a radio feature by Hard Knock Radio at KPFA. I also pitched and wrote an investigation into how the experiences of public school students with disabilities widely contravene their rights under federal education and disability laws.
- Wrote and edited features and health education literature for The Center for Closing the Health Gap.
WLWT-TV | Cincinnati, OH | June 2017 – July 2018
- Floor directed live newscasts and managed the studio floor.
- Assisted assignment editors, digital editors, and producers with newsgathering and writing.
The Cincinnati Herald | Cincinnati, OH | February – October 2017
- Covered news relevant to black community issues and interests, including the second murder trial of former University of Cincinnati Police officer Ray Tensing with front-page articles, live tweets, video streaming, and breaking news updates on social media.
- Helped develop and implement strategies to increase the paper’s digital and social media presence.
The News Record| Cincinnati, OH | August 2016 – April 2017
• Reported stories related to University of Cincinnati student and staff interests.
WordPlay Cincy | Cincinnati, OH | January – June 2016
- Wrote web features highlighting the program, students, tutors, and partnerships.
- Shot and edited multimedia content for the web and social media.
Ohio SPJ Awards
I won awards in 2018 and 2019 in the Best Criminal Justice and Best Investigative Reporting categories, respectively.
Cincinnati SPJ Awards
I was a finalist in the 2019 Best Education Story category.
FIRE Diversity Fellowship
I was awarded a grant by the Freelance Investigative Reporters and Editors (FIRE) Virtual Newsroom, a fiscally sponsored project of IRE, to attend a training workshop for investigative reporters.
Elsa Heisel Sule Foundation Scholarship
I was awarded this merit-based undergraduate scholarship for students majoring in fields related to communications and the arts.
University of Cincinnati Journalism Honors Seminar
I was one of thirteen students chosen to study abroad in Havana, Cuba during the spring 2017 semester.
Breaking News Reporting
Research & Fact-Checking
Adobe Creative Cloud
BA, Honors – Journalism
Academic Minor – Spanish
University of Cincinnati
2014 – 2017