EMERGING JOURNALIST FELLOW
Cascade Public Media| Seattle, WA | January 2019—Present
- Maintain a beat covering public education in Seattle and Washington state for crosscut.com and kcts9.org.
- Research and co-produce explainer videos and interviews that appear online and on KCTS9.
- Pitch and report a range of weekly enterprise pieces, quick turnaround articles, and long-terminvestigative stories.
- Upload and edit web content using the CMS.
- Participate in editorial planning meetings.
SOLUTIONS JOURNALISM REPORTING INTERN
YES! Magazine | Seattle, WA | August 2018 – January 2019
- Pitch and report stories that investigate and explain solutions that address core problems at the intersections of social justice, economic equity, civil liberties, and health and wellness.
- Format and upload stories for the web, using SEO to increase page views and boost content engagement.
FREELANCE REPORTER & WRITER
Self-Employed | Cincinnati, OH | June 2017 – Present
- Pitched and wrote a story for USA TODAY’s 2019 Black History Month tab about institutional challenges for Morris Brown College and other historically black colleges and universities.
- Pitched and wrote stories for Rewire.News, including an investigation into the racial discrimination of black patients by mental and behavioral health care systems, which led to a radio feature by Hard Knock Radio at KPFA. I also pitched and wrote an investigation into how the experiences of public school students with disabilities widely contravene their rights under federal education and disability laws.
- Wrote and edited features and health education literature for The Center for Closing the Health Gap.
WLWT-TV | Cincinnati, OH | June 2017 – July 2018
- Floor directed live newscasts and managed the studio floor.
- Assisted assignment editors, digital editors, and producers with newsgathering and writing.
The Cincinnati Herald | Cincinnati, OH | February – October 2017
- Covered news relevant to black community issues and interests, including the second murder trial of former University of Cincinnati Police officer Ray Tensing with front-page articles, live tweets, video streaming, and breaking news updates on social media.
- Helped develop and implement strategies to increase the paper’s digital and social media presence.
The News Record| Cincinnati, OH | August 2016 – April 2017
• Reported stories related to University of Cincinnati student and staff interests.
WordPlay Cincy | Cincinnati, OH | January – June 2016
- Wrote web features highlighting the program, students, tutors, and partnerships.
- Shot and edited multimedia content for the web and social media.
2019 Ohio SPJ Awards: Best Investigative Reporting
I was recognized in the Best Investigative Reporting category for my reporting on the mistreatment of students with disabilities in the Cincinnati Public Schools district for Rewire.News.
2019 Cincinnati SPJ Excellence in Journalism Awards: Best Education Story (Finalist)
I was a finalist in the category of Best Education Story for my reporting on the mistreatment of students in the Cincinnati Public Schools district for Rewire.News.
2018 Ohio SPJ Awards: Best Criminal Justice Reporting
I was recognized in the Best Criminal Justice Reporting category for my coverage of the second Ray Tensing murder trial for The Cincinnati Herald.
FIRE Diversity Fellowship
I was awarded a grant by the Freelance Investigative Reporters andEditors (FIRE) Virtual Newsroom, a fiscally sponsored project of IRE, to attend a training workshop for investigative reporters.
Elsa Heisel Sule Foundation Scholarship
I was awarded this merit-based undergraduate scholarship for students majoring in fields related to communications and the arts.
University of Cincinnati Journalism Honors Seminar
I was one of thirteen students chosen to study abroad in Havana, Cuba during the spring 2017 semester.
Breaking News Reporting
Research & Fact-Checking
Adobe Creative Cloud
BA, Honors – Journalism
Academic Minor – Spanish
University of Cincinnati
2014 – 2017